Vachira Hospital is the biggest government hospital in Phuket. It is better equipped than all other, but the waiting line is unbelievably long, may be a whole day. Therefore we cannot recommend this place.
Only go there if price is an issue, cause it is cheap.
History Vachira Hospital Phuket
Established in 1906 by Phraya Ratsadanupradit (Kosimbi Na Ranong,) with cooperation of Phuket’s wealthy merchants, Vachira Phuket Hospital was at first named “Sukhapiban Hospital” directly under the municipality. It was on the Komarapat road within the total area of 16,000 square meters. The hospital overseer was the British doctor, Dr. Mac, and many years later Phra Vejakijpisal (Jerm Dilokpat) was appointed the first Thai director of the hospital. Without any nurse at that time the hospital had hired an external personnel, Mr. Lew, to be a nurse assistant responsible for wound dressing and medicine distribution.
In the end of 1916, King Phra Mongkut Klao Chaoyuhua (Rama VI) traveled to Phuket province and granted royal permission to move the hospital to a new location because of recurring floods and gave His Majesty’s private money to construct a new building at the new location which is now the current setting. The building was successfully built in 1919 and denominated “Vachiraphayaban Building.” In addition, King Rama VI also kindly allowed using his name as the hospital name “Vachira Phuket Hospital.” The hospital was inaugurated in Phraya Surintaraja’s time.
Many buildings have been constructed since then with donated money. In 1952 Vachira Phuket Hospital was transferred to be under the Department of Medical Services,
the Ministry of Public Health. Nowadays Vachira Phuket Hospital is a 503 beds-general hospital under the Office of the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Health. Surrounded by striking mahoganies, given seeds by Phraya Wichitwongpoomikrai, Vachira Phuket Hospital has been founded for 103 years.
Source text above: https://www.vachiraphuket.go.th/