Por Tor Festival:
The Por Tor Festival, also named Hungry ghost festival, is centered around the Bang Liao Shrine, Por Tor Kong shrine. The name comes from Hokien Chinese “Por Tor Jong Seng” and means Activity to alleviate Pain and Suffering for all souls.
Por Tor was formed by a combination of believes from Taoism and Mahayana Buddhism.
Por Tor is for Chinese the King of Hell. 2 processions take place.
Specialty: Ang Ku turtle-shaped cakes.
- Starts at Queen Sirikit Park on Thalang Rd
- Turns left onto Thepkrasattri Rd, and continues into Phuket Rd
- Passes Surin Circle and turns right onto Kra Rd
- Turns left onto Takua Thung Rd and ends at Seng Tek Bel Shrine (Por Tor Kong Shrine), next to Bang Neow School
Activities celebrating the Por Tor festival 2016 in Phuket were held:
- Aug 15-22 – Thaihua Museum on Krabi Rd
- Aug 17 – Joor Shu Kong Shrine at Surin Circle
- Aug 17-31 – Por Tor Kong Shrine (Bang Niew)
- Aug 18 – Joh Ong Shrine, Krabi Rd
- Aug 19-20 – Fresh market on Ranong Rd
- Aug 23 – Por Tor Ao Khaer Shrine on Takua Pa Rd
In 2020 the Por Tor Festival will be held between August 19th and September 16th.
Note: dates are fixed on lunar calendar, so they may be moved a day or two!
Por Tor Festival Information
- Distance From Bismarcks Paradise:29.6 km (51) minutes
- Distance From Central Phuket:0.5 km (6) minutes